If you are selling your home, take into account that there are many other for sale. The key to this is planning, be oriented on how to sell in this time of crisis, whether you sell with an agent or on your own, and make sure you have a good product, i.e. present your house in the most attractive way possible potential buyers.
These factors are key if you decide to sell:
- Good price: Beyond the value that you consider having your home, there is a real value that dictates the market. The closer you are to the real price, the more likely you are to make the sale. The best way to find out for sure is to do an appraisal, but this entails cost. If you use a real estate agent, you can offer a market analysis, with comparable sales in the area, but that does not replace an appraisal.
- Flexibility to negotiate: In addition to price, buyers could apply for other benefits or incentives as a contribution to closing costs or include accessories or electrical appliances. If leaving a ceiling fan, a water softener or the washer and dryer make you a difference between selling or not, analyze whether it is worthwhile to include it even if it was not in your original plans.
- Market demand: to be selling at the right time can be key. When interest rates are so low as now or no incentive to buy, the sale may be faster. Other factors involved are the demand for housing in the community where the property is; if you put it on sale at the time when everyone wants to buy there, more buyers are interested in it.
- Being well informed or have a real estate agent: Selling a property is no simple matter. From knowing how to identify the necessary documents to communicate with the bank that will loan to potential buyers, there are several steps that require time, patience and knowledge.
- The real estate agent is the expert on that topic and can help, plus it will handle everything related to show your property, announcing and communication with customers but will charge a fee to close the sale.
- Having the property in good condition: No question, a house in a better position to view generates more interest in buyers. There are many things you can do to improve the way the property is sold while many of them deserve more time and effort on your part than money. Other ideas are expensive but improve the marketability. You decide how much money and time you want to invest.
- Make an effective marketing plan: If you use a real estate agent ask how you announce your house. If they are used Realtors’ Multiple Listing System (MLS) for other professionals to sell. Some make even direct advertising through mailing lists targeted to a specific market. If you do selling on your own, you can use signs in communities where permitted; do “open house” or the famous “open houses” where you invite with signs, flyers or announcements to come to see your house on a specific day and hour or place ads. It will also help notify neighbors, friends and family can be a great source of referrals.